2020 Vision - A Politics Thread

loafyloafy Pleasury Secretary
_______________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ ((___)) ((___)) [ x x ] cDc communications [ x x ] \ / presents... \ / (` ') (` ') (U) (U) THE SONG OF THE COW a poem by Psychedelic Warlord >>> A CULT Publication......1988 <<< -cDc- CULT OF THE DEAD COW -cDc- _______________________________________________________________________________ I need a butt-shine, Right now You are holy, Oh, sacred Cow I thirst for you, Provide Milk. Buff my balls, Love the Cow, Good fortune for those that do. Love me, breathe my feet, The Cow has risen. Wax my ass, Scrub my balls. The Cow has risen, Provide Milk. Oh, Milky wonder, sing for us once more, Live your life, everlusting joy. Thrust your hooves up my analytic passage, Enjoy my fruits Provider of Cheese and other wonderful dairy products, We will cleanse your inner intestines. We will bathe in your Pungent Odor, Gather cotton. Count my eyes, Smell my skin, Love the Scarecrow and the Milkman. I live only for eternity, Thirst for the undrinkable. Hold the heat, Praise the dough boy at the pizza shop. Love the Oxen dung! =============================================================================== (c)1988 cDc communications by Psychedelic Warlord 5/5/88-50 All Rights Worth Shit
XYZPDQLondonDryDjinnchrissieSchwarzdooddr. tfunkinSand_Eater

Comments

• Mostly I've learned that Beto was once a bored teenager in the suburbs.
    chrissie
  • loafyloafy Pleasury Secretary
    I hadn't realized the US ambassador to New Zealand is... Scott Brown

tinydr
  • Wellknown Ute driver Scott Brown?
    Beto got 6M in funding in 24 hours. That's some high end grassroots populism!
    Schwarzdood
  • I will send him some money only to see if I can get him to talk about one of my old bands in a nostalgic way at his next presser.
    chrissie
  • "Here's five bucks can you tell people you saw Ho-Ag at a DIY space in Odessa one time?"
    loafy
  • loafy said:

Beto got 6M in funding in 24 hours. That's some high end grassroots populism!

It has been speculated that a lot of that money is from the Texas Democratic Party, giving Beto back the rest of his Senate campaign money for his new presidential bid. No real way to confirm or deny that now; will be easier in April once formal FEC filings are made.

• chrissiechrissie Waltham
    I like Beto so far.
    Schwarzdood
  • Meh. Ladies first. I can't decide whether Warren or Harris is my top pick.
    I don't foresee circumstances that would compel me to support either O'Rourke or Sanders.
    Kamala is my top pick. I like Beto for the VP role.
    Some of my democrat friends are really really annoyed that the race is so crowded.

I feel differently... as far as I can tell, the candidates are pushing each other to be more bold in talking about their policies. What my hope is to have quite a few democrats vetted via this process so that when the running mate (and cabinet!) are announced, we know a few more better.
    For instance, Andrew Yang is interesting to me for a Secretary of the Treasury role.
  • Talking about cabinet positions at this stage is putting the cart very far forward of the horse.
    I choose candidates partially by who I think their team will be.
    If you are known for throwing your own party under the bus (Trump), not paying employees (Trump), firing people constantly (Trump), discrimination (Trump), sexual harassment (Trump), then I think your cabinet will be a bunch of bullshit people who can't work together.
    By going up against the 9th circuit, she is able to strengthen the case against the death penalty.

Death penalty needs to be defended and challenged until we can get a Supreme Court majority opinion saying it violates the 8th amendment. Justice Breyer has repeatedly said he wants this thoroughly addressed. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/12/us/politics/justice-stephen-breyer-death-penalty-supreme-court.html
  • Yeah no
    Kamala Harris is part of the Willie Brown shadow government
    Schwarzdood
  • chrissie said:

That's a very advanced level of political fan-fiction that you're engaging in, there. Aren't you bound to be disappointed? How psyched were you that HRC picked a milquetoast like Kaine?

What I remain curious about (thought we'd see it last year on the Republican side) is whether we'll see a brokered convention in our lifetime. If so, the VP spot may be offered to consolidate an electoral block. I suspect, though, that we'll see a massive winnowing after the initial caucuses and primaries; by mid-February we're likely down to only a half dozen "serious" candidates.

• edited March 18
    Only 599 days left until the big day!!
    SchwarzdoodSand_Eater
    weth said:

chrissie said:

That's a very advanced level of political fan-fiction that you're engaging in, there. Aren't you bound to be disappointed? How psyched were you that HRC picked a milquetoast like Kaine?

What I remain curious about (thought we'd see it last year on the Republican side) is whether we'll see a brokered convention in our lifetime. If so, the VP spot may be offered to consolidate an electoral block. I suspect, though, that we'll see a massive winnowing after the initial caucuses and primaries; by mid-February we're likely down to only a half dozen "serious" candidates.

Well the Tim Kaine thing is partially why I want a primary with more candidates, so basically the voters have more of an informed say in who gets the VP spot, and then the other cabinet positions. Less surprises, less "who?"

I do agree that the field is going to be drastically narrower by February, maybe even before super tuesday.
  • I just don't see that we voters have much of "an informed say in who gets the VP spot, and then the other cabinet positions" - we're voting for the singular candidate, and whatever they decide to articulate about those staffing choices. So often during the campaign season, candidates say things about each other which are melodramatic, to the point that it's hard to forgive those histrionics later on. So it's based less on "who came in second gets to be VP" and more on "who do I trust on a personal level, as well as who balances the ticket."
    edited March 19
    I literally never said "who gets second place gets VP." What I SAID was that I want more Democrats vetted. Their views, their background, their tax returns, etc. I chose two different candidates from two different states as my favorite ticket so far, which should have been demonstrative in READING what I said.

You're voting for someone that you were EXTREMELY rude to me about when I said she was running. I'd like an apology and I don't know why you didn't offer it up.
    Schwarzdood
  • Regarding Warren, I said
    weth said:

If she actually does that {run}, I'll be the pissie one. She shouldn't be running for that Senate seat now if she plans on leaving the Senate for a possible presidential run.

to which you replied
    chrissie said:

I'd be pretty pissie too, tbh, but that's what I keep hearing.

You're just bitter that you spent all that effort on Gonzalez and Paltry for naught.
    chrissie
    How do you know it was for naught? I got paid right? I got job references right? You treated me like I was a moron in that thread, just like you are here. And you specifically said she wouldn't run. And you also kept making misogynist remarks about me, saying I was the girlfriend of my boss or something? Seriously, stop treating me like an idiot.

I would say I'm bitter that he lost. Why wouldn't I be? Do you think it's weird to care about your work or your friends or your views? But "just"??? No you repeatedly treat me like a dumbass who is blowing my boss.
  • chrissie said:

And you also kept making misogynist remarks about me, saying I was the girlfriend of my boss or something?

No you repeatedly treat me like a dumbass who is blowing my boss.

I did mock you for using the inclusive "we" when you declared of Mr. Palfrey "we won". That was independent of gender; I would have called the inclusiveness into question regardless. I don't recall making any such blatant sexual innuendo - that's on you.
    chrissie said:

I hope Charlie Baker wins and Harvard gets to hoard their money.

• Let's get back to the real issues: Beto was wearing the same shirt 22 years ago!
    chrissieXYZPDQSchwarzdoodloafySand_Eater
    I'm on my phone but you literally said "I didn't know you were dating Quentin." Dating is sexual. Maybe you haven't been sexually assaulted at work or had people say you only got a job by blowing someone. NO it is NOT "on me"
  • I need more dates
  • Also Beto is a clown
    I think we're all missing the big pigture

btw it's totally fine to say "we won" if you've been working on the campaign for months. Normal, even!
    dr. tfunkinXYZPDQchrissie
  • My Dad campaigned for McGovern and I still have this unstuck bumper sticker.
    (MA was the only state McGovern won against Nixon.)

chrissieloafy

LeroyHoardXYZPDQ
  • XYZPDQ said:

My Dad campaigned for McGovern and I still have this unstuck bumper sticker.
    (MA was the only state McGovern won against Nixon.)

My parents moved (back) to MA because it was the only state McGovern won.
    loafyXYZPDQ