vote for quentin palfrey for lt gov on september 4th

thnx.

Comments

• also @melshocker abandoned me at a bar in worcester the other nite and i got beer poured on me.
    loafydr. tfunkin
  • No thanks
    chrissie
  • I hope it was a warm beer!
    chrissie
  • What is Quentin's routine like? Does he have any good one-liners?
    Schwarzdood
  • Does Tingle?
    wethSchwarzdood
  • Actually Q is very nice and interesting and smart, but making jokes prob makes him uncomfortable.I can introduce you! You could host a house party for him! (these aren't jokes)
  • The lieutenant governor doesn't really do anything. Baker is going to be governor, so wouldn't Palfrey just be in a frustrating situation? At least Jimmy Tingle would get in some good zingers here and there.
    Schwarzdood
  • What does Baker do?
  • chrissie said:

What does Baker do?

Appoints to the judicial branch, vetoes the legislative branch, has influence over appropriations bills. Sure, the position has been made a little toothless over the years, but to that point, why run for being a suck-up to the governor? At least Tingle would add some zest and sass.

What would Palfrey do that Tingle wouldn't? What would he plan to "accomplish" as lieutenant governor?

Schwarzdood
  • Lt gov presides over the governors council. They are the liaison between the cities and states and Beacon Hill. In terms of specifics, i will answer you at length later as im on my way to a job interview on the bus.

I will say, get rid of baker and the governor's office will do more. We got more registered Dems, Elizabeth warren running to gotv, and candidates more likeable than coakley.

I'll be more impassioned either later today or tomorrow.
  • Baker just had a quote in the paper about how they'll add several hundred more riders to the red, orange, and green lines, and it will be great because you can park your car and choose the ease of the T.

Nothing this guy says is reality. I honestly wonder who the fuck is he talking to. Ignore his $9 million; you don't need to see his billboards or tv commercials to comprehend that nothing he says ever makes any sense. I'd be really disappointed in you AND skeptical of your literacy if his "I'm a swell guy" is what impresses you. What would impress me if is that bitch took the B line every day during Red Sox season.
  • Well, it's sad that the Democrats can't field a viable candidate against Baker.
    Definitely not voting for Polito, but still undecided on who to vote for for Lt Gov.
    chrissieSchwarzdood
  • Regarding Tingle and Palfrey, I have hours to add on this topic. I've been with both, been with their staff, been on Palfrey's staff, met with supporters of both. I am struck that Tingle is kinda one-note. He is a great activist for the homeless and addicted. I don't see a ton beyond that. But I also honestly haven't heard a joke from him yet? I think I am missing something? I am not interested in negative campaigning, so I don't want to go down that path, but that is how I interpret it. I will say that Palfrey is also a great activist - leading the MIT poverty lab, and really tackling every issue in an intersectionality manner. When he thinks of climate change; he thinks how it will create jobs, improve health, improve quality of life for those. He has the requisite experience in writing policy already - the America Invents Act (patent reform) when he was Obama's staff and heading the healthcare division of the AG. I can tell he is a feminist (not that Tingle isn't one, I just think Palfrey is more decidedly so) and he's just from such a great vibrant family that will work for many centuries to come on these issues. One thing that is important to the democratic party is to cultivate leaders, and Palfrey is definitely young enough to be embarking on someone like John Kerry's path (lt gov, senator, would be prez, secretary of state). This is important too. I think Tingle isn't going further from here, and is much better suited for activist work, or maybe a specific opiate cabinet position.

In terms of the two candidates who had the best put together/happiest/funded staff -- Jay Gonzalez and Quentin Palfrey. It's part of why I swung my vote to Jay instead of Massie. I think it's key in beating the gop machine.
  • weth said:

Well, it's sad that the Democrats can't field a viable candidate against Baker.

What's wrong with Jay? I love his ideas and he has the requisite background. One of my favorite speeches at the convention too.
  • chrissie said:

weth said:

Well, it's sad that the Democrats can't field a viable candidate against Baker.

What's wrong with Jay? I love his ideas and he has the requisite background. One of my favorite speeches at the convention too.
    I don't think there's anything "wrong" with Jay Gonzalez. But have you seen any poll indicating he has any chance at all of being elected? The best he has done that I've seen is trailing Baker by 33 points...

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/governor/ma/massachusetts_governor_baker_vs_gonzalez-6418.html

Schwarzdood
  • I see the polls every day; we need to focus on how to change the narrative on this. There are way more registered democrats by the hundreds of thousands more than Baker. No one can name a damn thing Baker has even accomplished. I say that we vote in Jay, and his policies will act as a mandate for the blue state to finally get shit done. Or we keep Baker, support the wall, see our bond rating go down, and just become the state that it's not worth being miserable during the winter months for anymore. One of the reason I say I can even tolerate this weather is because we are the best state. We aren't with Baker. We would not have been the state to lead abolition, lead on gay marriage, lead on universal healthcare, lead on minimum wage, etc. if we keep twiddling our thumbs cuz "well they're rich and they have a poll." (btw I have never been polled; most of my generation does not have landlines).
    I got a meeting at 7-9pm that's part of grass roots planning for this. I will be involved in this very intricately. I will answer more questions and invite you to events or maybe get you to host one.
  • Also the newest poll was immdiately after the republican convention but before the democrat one. I think we have more name recognition. Articles are coming out every day about the dems.
  • chrissie said:

We would not have been the state to lead abolition, lead on gay marriage, lead on universal healthcare, lead on minimum wage, etc. if we keep twiddling our thumbs cuz "well they're rich and they have a poll."

I respect your passion and commitment to the cause of electing progressive representatives. But gay marriage and the Affordable, Quality, Accountable Health Care Act came when Romney was governor. We have a decidedly liberal legislature, which will continue to set the tone for the state's policies.

I will probably vote Democratic in November, depending on who is nominated, but remain sort of apathetic as to who is in the governor's office due to the overall lack of responsibility and authority that position holds.

• chrissie said:

he's just from such a great vibrant family 

What?
  • chrissie said:

he's just from such a great vibrant family 

What?
    just spent a longggg time with his parents in worcester and they're from the roosevelt line. it's like activism since birth with these people.
  • loafyloafy Pleasury Secretary
    fdr signed off on japanese american internment camps
    wethSchwarzdood
  • weth said:

chrissie said:

We would not have been the state to lead abolition, lead on gay marriage, lead on universal healthcare, lead on minimum wage, etc. if we keep twiddling our thumbs cuz "well they're rich and they have a poll."

I respect your passion and commitment to the cause of electing progressive representatives. But gay marriage and the Affordable, Quality, Accountable Health Care Act came when Romney was governor. We have a decidedly liberal legislature, which will continue to set the tone for the state's policies.

I will probably vote Democratic in November, depending on who is nominated, but remain sort of apathetic as to who is in the governor's office due to the overall lack of responsibility and authority that position holds.

I know what you mean by Romney, but presently the legislature under DeLeo's leadership is not being so, and we've slipped in the last few years. Our education is no longer #1; there are so many stories out there about income equity - specifically racial; our state has to be one of the most hardest hit by predatory student loans. I feel we need leadership who are poised to combat this; that's not Baker.
    I also feel that Baker has been complicit in what Trump is doing, by never taking a stance or taking one long after things have been decided.
    There's a strategy to take enough governorships in order to call for a constitutional convention. I don't think Baker is our savior from this.
  • loafy said:

fdr signed off on japanese american internment camps

they're descended from teddy and in closer relation to eleanor but fdr's like a distant cousin.
  • chrissiechrissie Waltham
    edited June 2018
  • Americans want a royal class
  • MONTGOMERY VILLAGE, Md., Sept. 24, 2012 — I ended my last article in the Summer of 1903. The players in the Panama Canal sweepstakes were left in the following relative positions:

* The Colombian senate had rejected the treaty that had been negotiated in Washington. The reason the U.S. believed they did was the fact that the Panama Canal Company would receive a lot more money than Colombia. Colombians maintained that the reason was that the U.S. and not Colombia would have authority in the Canal Zone;

* Teddy Roosevelt had bet his campaign on building a canal through Panama. Upon rejection of the treaty by the Colombian senate, he had to resort to plan B;

* Philippe Bunau-Varilla and his partner James Cromwell began seeing their $40 million in danger. They held the Panama Canal Company rights to build the canal. The U.S. was willing to pay them $40 million for the rights;

* The Panamanians, who were never too happy with the Central government in Bogotá, were being influenced into taking matters into their own hands.

In the fall of 1903, Bunau-Varilla and Cromwell held multiple meetings with Roosevelt and his representatives. While there is no legal record of these meetings , the consensus is that they agreed on a plan to accomplish what the Colombia Senate had thwarted. There is also some evidence that Bunau-Varilla and Cromwell also had contacted the Colombian garrison in Panama and offered them weapons and support in an uprising. The sum of $200,000 has been mentioned as the “support” that was given to the Colombians in Panama in order to rise in arms against the Colombian government.

The Colombian government promptly sent troops to put down the insurrection in Panama. As the troops landed on the Caribbean side of the Isthmus in Colon, American troops were sent to intercept them on their way to Panama City, the capital. The justification was that under the treaty for the Panama railroad, the U.S. had the authority to “protect Americans and American interests.” In other words, Colombia was not to be allowed to exercise its territorial authority because of an unlawful use of a treaty.

As the American troops intercepted the Colombian force, the latter were “dissuaded” into continuing on to Panama City. The fact that several American warships had been positioned near Colon was probably another factor in convincing the Colombian force to turn back. The Colombian force, believing to be in an inferior position, re-embarked and went back to their garrisons in Colombia.

To continue the farce, the newly formed government in Panama promptly named Bunau-Varilla as its representative to the United States government. The final agreement gave the U.S. complete control over the Canal Zone.

As the news of the agreement reached Panama and some citizens showed their displeasure, they were given $25 dollars each to change their minds. It is no wonder that for some time Panama has been known as an international banking center. For many years the drug money from the Colombian cartels was then laundered through Panama.

As the failure to recover Panama was reported in the Colombian senate, one senator was heard saying, “We have lost everything but our honor.” To which someone in the gallery responded, “If that is so, can you tell us where it is?”

In 1921, the U.S. and Colombia signed a treaty to settle the Panama Canal issue. The U.S. paid Colombia $25 million dollars. This act has never been fully accepted by the Colombian public. When I was a grammar school student in Colombia in the late 1940s, I remember that the Colombian map still showed Panama as part of its territory.

Historians have catalogued actions like those in Panama as “Teddy Roosevelt’s Corollary to the Monroe Doctrine.” Not because it was an act of protection of the Americas from European intervention, but because of the belief of the U.S. as the policeman or “right setter” of issues in the hemisphere.

While Roosevelt tried to justify his intervention in Panama as a “world necessity,” he never made any bones when he bragged “I took Panama.” I guess he believed that the end justified the means.

Mario Salazar, the 21st Century Pacifist, is a bleeding heart liberal, agnostic, exercise fanatic, Redskin fan, technophile, civil engineer, combat infantry veteran, jewelry maker, amateur computer programmer, Environmental engineer, Colombian-born, free thinker, and, not surprisingly, pacifist. Follow Mario on Twitter @chibcharus #TWTC and Facebook at Mario Salazar.
  • Anyways, belief in family lineage is a tool for the upper class to maintain power.
    Schwarzdood is a direct descendant of Lancelot Link
    Schwarzdoodmilkshocker
  • Should someone win just cuz they have 9 million?

I also clearly said it was an instilled family value, that means he's been doing charity work since he was a child. You can hand down civic duty like one can the ability to cook, play music, etc.
  • So another rich family, got it.
  • I'm not a rich family though.
  • I thought this graph was helpful; the voters in the presidential election years just need to show up for all the other elections.

tinydr
    folks don’t leave work early for Martha Coakley
    chrissiedr. tfunkin
  • "Democrats"
  • Charlie Baker has the highest net approval of any current governor in America.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/introducing-the-popularity-above-replacement-governor-rankings/

• Sounds like a lot of people are total idiots.
    chrissie
  • weth said:

Charlie Baker has the highest net approval of any current governor in America.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/introducing-the-popularity-above-replacement-governor-rankings/

We need to work to dispel the myth that he's a good governor.
  • vote! :)
    loafy
  • chrissiechrissie Waltham
    edited September 2018
    I wound up going:
    Bob Massie (gov)
    Quentin Palfrey (lg)
    Josh Zakim (Sos)
    Donna Patalano (DA)
    Nick Carter (Governor's Council)
    The rest were unchallenged.
    I voated
  • chrissie said:

In terms of the two candidates who had the best put together/happiest/funded staff -- Jay Gonzalez and Quentin Palfrey. It's part of why I swung my vote to Jay instead of Massie. I think it's key in beating the gop machine.

chrissie said:

I wound up going:
    Bob Massie (gov)

You made a pitch for how Jay Gonzalez was the best Democratic gubernatorial candidate, then switched to Massie.

I voted for Gonzalez and Tingle.

• weth said:

chrissie said:

chrissie said:

I wound up going:
    Bob Massie (gov)

You made a pitch for how Jay Gonzalez was the best Democratic gubernatorial candidate, then switched to Massie.

I voted for Gonzalez and Tingle.

I met up with Massie a couple times since then and he impressed me and he is UAW. Since we've had a breakdown of unions, I think that is important. I still agree with everything I said regarding Gonzalez. I held onto my absentee ballot until Friday to cast my vote because my indecision regarding governor. I'll be fine with either of them winning.
  • Also, you have to know I went Setti for a year - then Massie - then Jay - then Massie. I just like Massie better personally tbh. Jay was way better at the convention though.
    I wrote in @Schwarzdood for every office.

Law of averages says he takes at least one
    chrissieXYZPDQSchwarzdoodtinydr
  • What, no Scott Lively supporters?
    chrissieXYZPDQloafy