Comments

• Yep
  • Remember when his brother pranked the marathon?
    chrissieGarfield
  • Wish this weren't true, because a place like this still existing in Cambridge seemed like a miracle. Gross.
    ssg
  • ssgssg Boston
    I know. We can't exactly spare live music venues, but we can't be supporting rape culture more.
  • RitzyRitzy Fattleboro
    "For whatever it's worth, Tom Tipton, the owner, has publicly severed OOTBT's relationship with TJ Edson. Since the incident just occurred a couple of days ago, that seems like a fast and transparent response. I don't know anyone there enough to comment on the group as a whole, but I would not want to paint the whole place as bad because of one person's actions. If there is a longer history of danger to women or others there, I would like to learn more about it before I make a sweeping judgment."
  • RitzyRitzy Fattleboro
    "In light of the serious allegations stemming from an incident that occurred at the gallery, on June 27. Tj Edson will no longer be working at the gallery.
    The gallery has always striven to make people from all walks of life feel comfortable and supported. In no way should one incident change this setting.
    Any questions re shows and booking should be forwarded to myself,Tom Tipton.
    I appreciate your support in the past and hope for that moving forward.
    Please understand we are not able to answer questions or discuss the incident."
  • loafyloafy Pleasury Secretary
    who are those quotes from
  • Apparently from owner Tom Tipton posted on the OOTB Facebook page.

Article about all this on Vanyaland.
    loafy
  • RitzyRitzy Fattleboro
    The first quote is from Eric Krauter, local artist, and the second from Tom Tipton the gallery owner. The gallery responded by firing the guy immediately. As far as I'm concerned that makes this place THE safest place, because they DID SOMETHING.
    tinternssgXYZPDQyousirname
  • I am happy that they took action, but statistically it is unlikely that Morgan was the only one.

If they want to make it a truly safe space, they need to hold some men/bystanders can prevent rape trainings for all staff and any members of the community, with a healthy dose of what-is-consent education.
  • Good for her for saying something. That takes genuine courage. I don't know this guy but it's pretty obvious that he must have thought she would either comply or at least keep quiet.

I'm not gonna act like it's my place to speak for anyone but it seems like the people in charge did what was right. The guy isn't suspended pending further investigation, he's gone, 36 hours later.
  • I am relieved (& sadly surprised) to see this guy is gone & good for OOTB. If more of this story needs to come out, hopefully seeing someone speak up and get immediate action and support will encourage it.
  • RitzyRitzy Fattleboro
    Yikes:

Adrienne Myers · Boston, Massachusetts
    This wasn't a new thing when it happened to me in October, either. I was one of the vendors there, for a very uncomfortable two months. When TJ cornered me and I told him I wasn't interested, he kept grabbing me anyway while I became very aware that we were alone and this guy wasn't taking no for an answer too well. I awkwardly wriggled out of that situation and tried to go back to working at the gallery but TJ started making super sexist comments, like telling me I'm not allowed to come in wearing pigtails and being seriously peeved about it. I told Tom about it and Tom said, verbatim, "Women aren't always innocent." I asked him what the fuck that meant and then grabbed all of my stuff and got the hell out of there. A couple of the other female vendors tried to advocate for me and the wellfare of the gallery, saying that this kind of incident needs to be handled differently, but nothing was ever done about it.

Thanks for writing, at least I don't feel quite so alone in that weird experiece.
    SchwarzdoodreinadequesowalkertinternchrissieBigPuddinloafy
  • Yeesh.
  • Yeah, working in a sexist environment is really hard because there's a lot of "well I didn't see it."
  • loafyloafy Pleasury Secretary
    yeah there's no way Tom didn't know about TJ's behavior before Morgan's blog post
    Schwarzdood
  • They really really really need to contact BARCC and host some workshops... maybe I will write them a note
  • The Hassle ruins another show space.
  • Has TJ responded to this publicly?
  • RitzyRitzy Fattleboro
    Nope. Deleted his Facebook, apparently.
  • Yeah having thought about this more, it would have been pretty hard to believe if this really was an isolated incident. Folks don't often decide to victimize somebody for the first time in a very public (albeit, at the time, isolated) place, and the fact that the reaction WAS so swift gives a bit of a "well I guess we have to deal with this now" feeling.

Just a fucking shame on so many levels. Does anyone know the woman from the other night? Hope she's doing ok.

I'll never understand where the sense of entitlement and the willingness to just act like a fucking monster comes from, inside of a person. I mean, I get that it's a shitty prevalent culture, but you'd like to think it wouldn't exist as much within the artistic community.
    chrissie
  • I read that the woman in the original story was only 18 years old. :(
  • And I experience a lot of sexism in liberal-ish communities.
    Just look at any PETA ad for instance. Like, encouraging the ethical treatment of animals is great but they treat women like objects. And I'm against the whole paint throwing thing since that's assault and battery.
    Schwarzdood
  • RitzyRitzy Fattleboro

Yeah having thought about this more, it would have been pretty hard to believe if this really was an isolated incident. Folks don't often decide to victimize somebody for the first time in a very public (albeit, at the time, isolated) place, and the fact that the reaction WAS so swift gives a bit of a "well I guess we have to deal with this now" feeling.

I agree with you completely. I wish I hadn't been so quick to defend the gallery owner. The pitchforks being lobbed about make a lot more sense now - how many other times has this happened?

• yeah, 18, and not to be ageist because it's more about how old I am than how young she is but that's a kid to me. This is the shit that scares me now that I have a daughter.

also the more I think about it the more impressed I am with this woman. speaking up against a shitbag in a position of power in a community takes guts. theres so much victim blaming out there. i couldnt imagine going through something so traumatic and then knowing its inevitable that someone will ask something like 'well were you flirting with him?' when you go public. she has saved other women from having to go through the same thing by her actions.
    tintern
  • Man.

So, the Ryan Adams shit made me think of this. There's an article on pitchfork today basically wondering how many women have been shut out of making art because of the way men treated them when they tried to enter that world. I couldn't remember how long ago this happened so it took some searching through my old comments for a while. I wondered what happened to the young woman. Looking at her website, it sorta looks like the show where this happened was the last show that she played.

As my daughter's father, I died a little just now.
  • There's an article on pitchfork today basically wondering how many women have been shut out of making art because of the way men treated them when they tried to enter that world.

Yep. Doesn't have to be art.